VidCon 2011

VidCon 2011
My first VidCon. It was an extremely exciting experience for me, one I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate. I was still a fresh fan of many YouTube channels and still in awe of the weird world of online video. I was new to the culture and found most my peers in an age group ten years younger than me. It was strange but kind of like going to Disneyland for the first time in your 20s. Most of the other 20-somethings were jaded but the kids were not. I felt like a kid at VidCon.

VidCon 2011
At the very start of VidCon I actually made friends, friends my age surprisingly. I recall eating cupcakes Katie brought and then Ryan bought me a beer at the hotel lobby bar. Neil took a look at my camera (and took the above picture) and Derek was our not quite 21 yet friend who befriended us rather than the younger crowd.  Industry Day, with it's networking and panels about new media, made me feel like the young professional I was.

VidCon 2011
The Community Days (the normal convention/fan days) were everything I expected them to be. I went to meetups, I went to all of the concerts, and I met the YouTubers I wanted to. It was a dream, not unlike my first trip to Comic Con. I was defiantly on the side of the fans but I knew that one day I'd be on the other side in some way. It was odd, but I was so new to it all, all I could do was take it in. That sort of innocence was comforting.

VidCon 2011
The small venue of the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, only 2,500 people, and the newness of it all were what made VidCon 2011 my favorite VidCon so far. These four photos were the only photos I took the entire time. I did take lots of video though. I honestly hope that this year's VidCon will be really fun, there's a few more weeks till it's here and I am already thinking of what to pack. Until then, I'll continue to reminisce about the last two. (Place your bets in the comments for how many photos I took at VidCon 2012!)

VidCon 2011 Videos

Stay tuned for more VidCon photos and videos!
J.

No comments: