The Perks of Being a Wallflower Book Review


After hearing that Stephen Chbozky's book, 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' was being turned into a movie I went out and bought the book.  I did this for two reasons.  One: with books that get turned into movies the book tends (not always) to be much better.  I like to read it first.  Two: if a book is getting turned into a film, it's probably a pretty good book.  'Perks' did not disappoint.  It was a great young adult novel that had I read it as a teenager, I could see how it could affect me in that deep emotional way.

I have yet to see the film but I imagine it will be close in feelings and storytelling.  The characters are what you come back to this book for and I can see the film achieving that as well.  It did not quite have the whimsy I tend to be drawn to but it is different, realistic, and raw.

I was a film major, not an English major, so I apologize for my lack of intelligent insight in this review.  I just want to tell you how it made me feel.  I felt...nostalgic for my teen years.  I wish I had read it back then.  (I feel the same way about John Green books.)

Final notes: I liked it, it was a quick good read, and I can't wait to see the film.

Books read this year: 10

J.

Product image from Goodreads.

1 comment:

Imaginary Confetti Club said...

I love this book!
I still need to finish it though, I have had like 40 pages to go since high school, haha.
But thanks for the shop credit!
I can't wait to see what you got! :D