5 Day Green Smoothie Challenge

I have been a smoothie kick since I bought myself a blender last month.  After searching all over for recipes to try I decied to try the Green Smmothie Challenge from A Beautiful Mess.  Last week I made all 5 of their smoothies for breakfast and here are my reviews!

 The first day I tried what turned out to be my favorite smoothie of the five. The blueberry and banana one!  (2 cups blueberries, 1/2 a banana, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 cup of water)  I found out that blueberries and bananas together can mask any other flavor completely!

Day two I tried the pineapple and banana smoothie.  (1/2 a banana, 2 handfuls of spinach, 2 cups water) The taste was a tad off so I added some of the pinapple juice from the can.  Also I felt as if here was too much water. Next time I'm only using one cup.

Wednesday I opted to try the apple smoothie.  (2 apples (I used 2 granny smiths), 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup crushed ice) I was a bit apprehensive since it was just apples and spinach, but it was actually not bad.  The constancy was a bit odd but it really just tasted like apples.

 The next day I attempted the Peach, Honey, and Oats smoothie.  I could not find oats so I used granola instead.  The smoothie pretty much tasted like liquid granola. Blah.  This smoothie was pretty much a fail due to incorrect ingredients. (1 1/2 cups sliced peaches, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/4 cup raw oats, 1 cup water)

 Finally, on Friday I made the Raspberry and Coconut smoothie.  (1 cup raspberries, 1/3 cup coconut flakes, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 cup water)  Ok, so this was almost another fail.  The only coconut flakes I could find were the sugary kind you use in baking. That combined with the raspberries were way too sweet.  Next time I'm using half the amount of coconut flakes. Yup.

Left over smoothie? Make smoothie freezer pops!


J.

No comments: